A student's look into the world of cinema and all its elements.



Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Newsroom “Election Night Part 1 and 2” Review: Love and marriage



It's election night on The Newsroom 

A review of the final two episodes of season two of the Newsroom coming up after I sign that book….

Gahhhh! Ok before I burst let’s get right to the bullet points:

  • Will is getting married to Mac. Yeah so after the sexist, egotistical, jerk essentially tells Mac off for two years straight (and it gets even worse in these two episodes even) she just goes ahead and says yes. With very little hesitation none the less. I have to say that is brutal in every way possible! Why am I supposed to buy that this is a thing? Why does this happen right at the end, after everything had been going ok as well.  Oh and guess what it’s not the worst part of the finale either….

  • Because of our good friend Jim Harper! Man was that scene with Lisa bad, I mean really, really bad. So bad that it was worse than the Will and Mac scenes. I mean seriously the whole “I can’t be right for you because you’re too smart for me” was one of the single worst things of last season and it got brought back. Out of the blue, just like that. Why? Why, if this show hadn’t brought it up all season (and was for the better for it) must it be brought up again? Who cares? Whoever cared? Jim just looks like a total douche in every way and it’s just another example of how Sorkin cannot write for females to save his life!!

  • Why is a book signing so important again? Sorkin really made Sloan look like a total ditz in that sequence. Why would she care about a book signing on election night? I mean the Wikipedia thing was already a little bit off and the book signing thing was even worse. The worst part of it too is that it led to a Sloan and Don relationship being set up. Seriously no one wants this… Sorkin why are you ruining your best character?!

  • Oh yeah and it’s all Jerry Dantana’s fault again. Looks like the team just gets off scot free again, and no one had to blink an eye!


Okay back to paragraph form. This finale as I’ve said before was awful and made me again question whether or not I’m going to come back to the show (that is if Sorkin has time to make another season). The answer to that is that yes I will be coming back because the middle of this season gave me hope for where this series could go. Not much hope all things considered, but maybe this finale got all of the stupid relationship storylines out of the way for close to good. Either way I’m going to give the potential new season a few episodes, but if it keeps going like this I may dump it really fast.

That’s just me though. What did everyone else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment