A student's look into the world of cinema and all its elements.



Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Oscar’s 2014: Fred’s Picks Part 1 the Minor Categories




 It's Oscar time!!

It’s Oscar season again everyone! Of course as with last year, my contest Outpick Fred at the Oscars is going to start up soon (ie Sunday February 23rd 2014) and thus now is the time to present the thinking behind by Oscar picks. I’m going to start these picks from what I call the “minor categories”  before writing about the” medium and major categories” along the way giving my picks of who I think will win, as well as putting my two cents in on who should win. Without further due here are my picks for the 86th Annual Academy Awards minor category edition!

Best Cinematography:
This one’s pretty easy for me in the sense that if Gravity doesn’t win it’s a pretty large tragedy. Ok that may be an overstatement, but seriously for that opening tracking shot alone could easily take the prize for me. The only other film that comes close for me is Roger Deakins’ work in Prisoners and while it’s a beautifully shot film for me it’s a distant second. As for the prediction of who will win, I’m going to put my eggs in the Gravity basket technical achievement wise and so my pick for who will win is also Gravity.
Should Win: Gravity
Will Win (Fred’s Prediction): Gravity

Best Costume Design:
I don’t think I ever get this right because of accurate prediction…. So it’s guessing time folks! I think this ultimately comes down to 12 Years a Slave or American Hustle, and ultimately I think it ends up going to 12 Years a Slave. The only thing I worry about is getting blindsided by The Great Gatsby which can come in and win this, but my policy says stay close to the best picture and that’s what I’m going to do…
Should Win: No really strong opinions but… American Hustle *Shrug*
Will Win (Fred’s Prediction): 12 Years a Slave

Best Film Editing:
Ok I have a little bit of a better educated opinion on this one… But not really a more knowledgeable pick mind you. So with the pick I’m going to use my give technical awards to Gravity theory and run. Editing wise I think again that nothing matches Gravity due to just the sheer amount of effort it takes to create this world and all the technical prowess that goes into it. Sure it’s not like they are the visual effects guys, but they matter almost as much in this case. It’s not particularly flashy editing which may be my downfall on this pick, but again I’m in on the Gravity tech awards boat and it seems so far that I’m not leaving it.
Should Win: Gravity
Will Win (Fred’s Prediction): Gravity

Best Makeup and Hairstyling:
I think that Dallas Buyers Club is a lock here. Even just for the Jared Leto makeup this film deserves it. Sure Bad Grandpa has a single trick up its sleeve but it’s not overall as great as Buyers Club. Also I don’t think that the Hobbit has momentum at this point and considering the first Hobbit film failed to win last year sets the tone for this one. Also Dallas Buyers Club is a best picture nominee giving it a bit of a better chance of winning this one.
Should Win: Dallas Buyers Club
Will Win (Fred’s Prediction):  Dallas Buyers Club

Best Original Score:
This one is usually easier for me because I’m either sure about this one or I go with the one that won to Golden Globe if I’m not sure. Problem is I have no idea and the one that won the Globe didn’t even get nominated for the Oscar, so this one is a crap shoot for me. First off the fact that Hans Zimmer isn’t nominated for his work in 12 Years a Slave at all is utterly ridiculous. Not flashy enough I guess. The sentimentalist in me says they give a career achievement award to John Williams, but he’s won a lot already. I end up falling back on Gravity again because I think it has the potential to steel all of the tech awards.
Should Win: Her
Will Win (Fred’s Prediction): Gravity

Best Original Song:
God I hope U2 doesn’t win this award. It’s not that I don’t like them or anything but literally every choice in this category is better. I’m putting my money on Frozen which should eak out the victory as I think that it’s riding too much momentum to lose this one, even if it has major competition because U2’s song is about the late great Nelson Mandela.
Should Win: “Let it go” (Frozen)
Will Win (Fred’s Prediction): “Let it go” (Frozen)

Best Production Design:
This one’s another slightly tricky one. I that Gatsby might be able to steal this one. I’m going to take a plunge and pick Gatsby because I feel like it, and I think I have to at least have to go with Gatsby for one of either production or costume design.
Should Win: *Shrug*
Will Win (Fred’s Prediction): The Great Gatsby

Sound Editing:
Gravity wins move on!
Should Win: Gravity
Will Win (Fred’s Prediction): Gravity

Sound Mixing:
Again Gravity wins move on!
Should Win: Gravity
Will Win (Fred’s Prediction): Gravity

Visual Effects:
If Gravity doesn’t win this category something is absolutely wrong! Is there anything even close to this movie in this category?
Should Win: Gravity
Will Win (Fred’s Prediction): Gravity

No comments:

Post a Comment