A student's look into the world of cinema and all its elements.



Saturday, February 16, 2013

Oscar Picks 2013: The Major Awards




 The Oscars are coming!! It’s time to pick who will win the awards. Of course the “Outpick Fred” contest will commence on Sunday February 17th and the rules of that contest along with my full list of my picks will be presented on that day. For now I’m going to go through my picks in detail in two parts The Small Awards and The Big Awards. The only picks I’m not going to make are short film picks because I would look like a fool trying to pick those. For now here are the picks for the 6 major awards. (Legend: Pick: my pick for what will win, Should win: what I think is the best in each category)


Actress in a Supporting Role:
Pick: Anne Hathaway “Les Miserables”
This one is one if the easiest picks. While Anne Hathaway may not be the best performance in the category it’s the one that’s been winning and will continue to win come Oscar night.
Should Win: Helen Hunt “The Sessions”


Actor in a Supporting Role:
Pick: Tommy Lee Jones “Lincoln”
Supporting actor is a really good category this year. It’s a battle of old veterans and character actors and it’s really tight. I’m going with the “Academy pick” in the grumpy old Tommy Lee Jones but if Robert De Niro or Chrisoph Waltz I wouldn’t be surprised or sad.
Should Win: Christoph Waltz “Django Unchained”


Actress in a Leading Role:
Pick: Jenifer Lawrence “Silver Linings Playbook”
This one is another difficult one. As we speak I’m debating whether to pick Jessica Chastain, who was the favorite until about two weeks ago, and Jenifer Lawrence who is leading the current hypeathon. Ultimately my pick will go to Lawrence as Zero Dark Thirty has gone dark in the hype department and Silver Linings playbook continues to climb the hype train. It’s sad because Jessica Chastain’s performance is the best one.
Should Win: Jessica Chastain “Zero Dark Thirty”


Actor in a Leading Role:
Pick: Daniel Day-Lewis “Lincoln”
Another easy pick. Daniel Day-Lewis should and easily will win the best actor award. On a side note though poor Joaquin Phoenix has fallen off the map completely and The Master is getting no love at all.
Should Win: Daniel Day Lewis “Lincoln”


Director:
Pick: Stephen Spielberg “Lincoln”
Usually the director pick is easy because it’s always the Directors Guild Award winner. Unfortunately Argo director Ben Affleck was not nominated for reasons that still puzzle me. So let’s go with the veteran Spielberg who hasn’t won the award in many years and seems to have a little hype train behind him.
Should Win: Stephen Spielberg “Lincoln”


Best Picture:
Pick: Argo
The biggest category and the biggest risk. It hardly happens but I’m rooting for the best picture and best director awards to be from different films. Two weeks ago I would have thought one foolish to pick against Lincoln, but after a huge momentum streak Argo seems now like the better pick. It’s a risk but it’s one I’m going to take. Let’s hope now that Lincoln doesn’t sweep the awards…
Should Win: Zero Dark Thirty


Alright then the picks are in. The full contest rules and regulations will be up tomorrow Feb. 17th for your picking pleasure. I’m confident in my picks and I don’t think there is much picking room around them but we’ll see it should be a close contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment