A student's look into the world of cinema and all its elements.



Friday, February 15, 2013

Oscars Picks 2013: The Small Awards






The Oscars are coming!! It’s time to pick who will win the awards. Of course the “Outpick Fred” contest will commence on Sunday February 17th and the rules of that contest along with my full list of my picks will be presented on that day. For now I’m going to go through my picks in detail in two parts The Small Awards and The Big Awards. The only picks I’m not going to make are short film picks because I would look like a fool trying to pick those. For now here are my picks for the smaller awards. (legend: Pick: my pick for what will win, Should win: what I think is the best in each category)


Animated Picture
Pick: Brave
                The animated category is a bit of a tossup this year despite it being a weaker year for animation. Based on awards hype so far my pick goes to Brave. Also the award always seems to go to a Pixar film (save for Rango’s win last year). I wouldn’t be surprised if Wreck it Ralph won but ultimately I think I have the best chance with Brave.
Should Win: ParaNorman


Film Editing
Pick: Argo
                I can see Argo getting some love in this category. Really I don’t know if Lincoln ends up sweeping (which I’m counting on that it doesn’t) I can see this award going in that direction. I don’t see Argo winning too much (more on that next article…) but I think it should get something here.
Should Win: Zero Dark Thirty


Cinematography:
Pick: Life of Pi
                Total academy pick here. Despite saying this I don’t think Life of Pi will pick up much else come Oscar night.
Should Win: Skyfall


Original Score:
Pick: Life of Pi
                That being said I think Life of Pi will pick up score as well. Kind of that “going with the hype” pick.
Should Win: Lincoln


Original Song:
Pick: Adele “Skyfall’
                Easy pick. I don’t think this has a chance of losing.
Should Win: Skyfall


Foreign Film:
Pick: Amour
                Another easy pick. It’s the only foreign film to be nominated for best picture. Do the math…
Should win: Amour

 
 Original Screenplay:
Pick: Django Unchained
                This is another tossup but I think that Django Unchained is the favorite going in and that it will ultimately win the category.
Should win: Django Unchained


 Adapted Screenplay:
Pick: Lincoln
                I don’t think Lincoln will sweep but there are a few that it’s going to win. Screenplay is one of them.
Should Win: Lincoln


Visual Effects: Life of Pi
                Shouldn’t win but will. Another easy Academy pick.
Should Win: The Avengers


Production Design:
Pick: Les Miserables
                It will be a battle between this film and Anna Karenina. I think Les Mis takes this and Anna Karenina takes the next award.
Should Win: Les Miserables


Costume Design:
Pick: Anna Karenina
                The costumes in this film are fantastic and as much as the academy loves Les Mis I think Karenina can win this.
Should Win: Anna Karenina


Makeup:
Pick: The Hobbit
                This one seems like a no brainier in this category, I say go Hobbit 100%.
Should Win: The Hobbit


Documentary Feature:
Pick: Searching for the Sugar Man
                I don’t watch many docs but this is the only one that people seem to be talking about. So I guess that is the one we go with then… (Doc category is kind of week isn’t it)
Should Win:????


Sound Mixing:
Pick: Les Miserables
                Take Les Mis for this category. If it deserves any award it is this one.
Should Win: Les Miserables


Sound Editing:
Pick: Zero Dark Thirty
                Zero Dark Thirty has to win something and while it won’t win much this is one it will win.
Should Win: Zero Dark Thirty

Come back tomorrow for the big category picks including Best director, the acting awards, and best picture. Don’t forget contest starts February 17th!

No comments:

Post a Comment