A student's look into the world of cinema and all its elements.



Thursday, January 16, 2014

Coming up in 2014



A Newsroom Photo because why not!
Photo Credit: HBO


Some News on what to expect from the blog in 2014 as soon as I dig up some New Year’s resolutions that I’ll forget by the end of the month…

Hey all just some brief announcements of what I have planned for the blog in 2014:

  • The first new thing that’s coming at the end of this week in fact is the continuation of the Mad Men re-watch. Since January is a really slow time for films I’m going to continue to go through Mad Men with season two every Saturday to help us get through the trudges of early year films. I’ll have a formal announcement that will include links to the first season’s re-watch articles coming either later today or sometime tomorrow. As for in the Summer I hope to do a first season of another show along with doing the Mad Men re-watches at the early points of the year. It’s like having your cake and eating it too!

  • The Oscars are only a short month and a half away and that mean the return of “Outpick Fred” at the Oscars. I will probably start the contest in the first week of February (so I have a better since of how the buzz shifts) with my picks and I hope to have a big turn out this year. In vague detail, the contest will work in the same way as last year, you have to beat me and everyone else to win the prize (I’ll figure out what it is when we get closer to it) I don’t think my picks will be as good this year so I’m pretty sure, with educated picks, someone can topple me this year.

  • Hey remember that top 50 films thing that I started but never have had a chance to really finish, yeah that’s still going to happen. I’m going to release the 34 films in a bi-weekly fashion every Monday and Thursday until they’re done. It sucks that the list has fallen on the wayside of my mind as I love writing about my favorite films and as we get closer it’s only going to get more so.

  • On the new movies side of things, as previously mentioned, the first part of the year is really slow and often the movies that do come out I’m not willing to throw down money to see and give them awful reviews (I Frankenstein is a glaring example of what that kind of film is). I’m still going to try to come out with reviews of new movies that are on the radar (Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit etc) and small gems that come out of Sundance early. I hope to have at least one new review every two weeks, give or take, but ultimately this is really time for me to recover from Oscar season and save up for the Summer so times will be a little slower.

  • Another way to combat the slowness of the start of the year is to go into detail on each of my ten films of 2013. I haven’t actually reviewed most of the films on my list sadly as most of them I saw in December and with exams and lots of movies it was sadly the busiest time of year. So starting this Tuesday I will be releasing some detailed, more TV like thoughts (which means less formality and spoilers) on each of my top 10 movies to fill the gap that has been present.

  • I’m going to be reviewing the onslaught of shows that have debuted on HBO on Sunday nights. I’m a week behind because of the Golden Globes last Sunday but I’ve seen both episodes of Girls and the episode of True Detective and I’m psyched to talk about them week to week starting this upcoming Sunday. Other than that I may have some comments for Community and Parks and Recreations one week if things are really great (which for both shows so far so good!) but after that I’ll consult my busy schedule.

  • I’m going to actually start writing a weekly column on Fridays as well called this week in movies. It’s going to hopefully start next Friday and will probably be the most inconsistent of these newer things depending on how busy I am and how much there is to talk about. We’ll see how it turns out but it’s something I really want to do.

  • Finally, as with it seems every year I’m going to try and find a new blog or at least reinvent this one. It’s been tough mostly because I’m indecisive on what road I want to take in this matter. I want something long term that I can continue to develop and hopefully gain readership. We’ll see where it goes and with the slow time for movies I’m hoping I can work this out soon.

That’s all from me for now! Hope this year is an awesome one!

No comments:

Post a Comment